Tuesday, October 18, 2016

The Last Few Months in Review and Future Plans

It's true. Everyone needs a hiatus, including me. The past year has been a whirlwind for me in promoting Bob Crane: The Definitive Biography, as well as hopping from one place to another for book signings and presentations. And I've loved every minute of it!

But between juggling all of that, plus working at a demanding full-time job and on other writing projects, as well as spending time with my family and having some sort of a personal life (ha! What's that?!), I needed to take a little step back. That shouldn't be confused with abandonment, however! I'm still here, always ready and willing to combat the negative and tell Bob's true, complete story.

Past Events
Carol Ford with awesome 2016 MANC vendor neighbors
and new friends Josh Kennedy (left) and Mark Redfield
(Poe Forevermore).
I was thrilled to once again participate as a vendor at the Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention, held in Hunt Valley, Maryland, from September 15-17, 2016. Over those three days, I reconnected with some great folks I knew from last year's convention, met a few people I knew through social media, and made some terrific new friends! You can browse through a selection of photos from the convention by clicking here. While I didn't present this year, I had a blast talking with people one to one at my table in the vendor hall. I'm looking forward to being a regular participant at the convention!

A few days prior to the Nostalgia Convention, I gave a full presentation at my hometown library in Gloucester County, New Jersey. It was a great success, and I have grown to love talking before a crowd. This comes as somewhat of a surprise to me because in the past, public speaking would usually make me very nervous, and I'd get cold feet! 

Carol Ford with Mitchell Hadley, owner of
It's About TV: Adventures in Classic TV
and AmericanCulture
, at the
2016 Mid-Atlantic Nostalgia Convention.
A favorite story I like to tell is the time I met Arlene Martel, who played Tiger on Hogan's Heroes. Arlene, who was a major contributor to Bob's biography and a tremendous supporter of our work, invited me, along with two of my dear friends, as her special guests to the 2007 ICON Convention in Long Island, New York. We spent the day with her in the vendor hall and then went to her presentation. Just before her talk, Arlene pulled me aside and specifically instructed me to ask her one simple question: "What was it like working with Bob Crane on Hogan's Heroes?" 

Following her talk and a short film composed of her works, she took questions from the audience. Several people raised their hands. I shrunk down in my seat! She answered questions about her role as Spock's bride on Star Trek, among other questions. But I was frozen! Finally, as she was wrapping the session up, she asked if there were any more questions from the audience. She looked directly at me and said, "Anyone? ANYONE!" My friend kept nudging me to talk, but to no avail! I was not budging, and it was not going to happen. Arlene was a little miffed at me following her session, but she was so sweet and kind, she didn't dwell on it. Arlene passed away on August 12, 2014, and I often think of that moment at her session, smile, and say, "I've come a long way, haven't I, Arlene?"

What's in Store for the Future?
In addition to more author events, we've got something big starting to simmer on the front burner. At this time, I can't divulge any details, but I promise you, you're gonna love it. For now, I'll just say...stay tuned!